Education for Sustainable Development in Mongolia
• Inspired the Ministry of Education and Science to initiate a progress leading to that ESD approaches shall be an integrated part in all education.
• Initiated establishment of the National Network of ESD Trainers, consisting of 80 teachers from 21 provinces.
• Implemented ESD ambitions in all national standards by allowing and encouraging local schools to develop locally adopted curricula.
• Compiled and disseminated the teacher’s manual “Collection of the sample Cases of curricula on EE and ESD” was the first example how local curricula can be developed in line with national standards and combined with the local needs and was presented at the national workshop.
Developed the “ESD Strategy for WWF-Mongolia” where ESD approaches and principles are seen as supporting tools for effective reach out.
• 4 pilot schools in Khovd aimag practiced ESD in very concrete terms and adapting the ESD visions to a local and whole school context. Schools acquired knowledge and skills to develop models for local curricula, conduct ESD in their schools based upon local needs and local conditions.
• In-service training sessions to support the innovative methodology of development and testing of locally relevant curricula were conducted.
• 8 series of handbooks and package of publications for pilot school teachers focusing on methodologies to integrate ESD principles into local curricula.
• Experience sharing annual event provided a platform for discussion for 9 schools in the Altai-Sayan eco-region. Lessons learned of development and testing of locally relevant curricula was the main focus of discussions.
• To disseminate the public awareness on the sustainable development aspects and concept to local communities, secondary school students, teachers and educators, we run a corner “Green Page” (16 issues) on a quarterly magazine “Nature, Environment, & Life” through successful cooperation with the magazine publisher. Though the project came to its end, the Page is being continuously maintained and updated by the magazine publisher currently.
• An integrated method for entrepreneurial business activities within the concept of environmental sustainable development objectives was introduced to more than 160 teachers and school managers. Specially designed Entrepreneurship training aimed to link up rural development and education components that can contribute business development in the soums and improve living standards and environmental conservation in local areas.
• Experienced small scale projects in 3 schools to be “Environmentally Friendly and Sustainable Development oriented schools”.
Organized series of school centered methodological trainings in pilot schools on integration the ESD concept along with specific local topics into the existing curricula.
• Developed handbooks and package of publications for pilot school teachers focusing on methodologies to integrate ESD principles into local curricula.
• Organized annual basis experience sharing meetings for teachers, educators, and training managers of the schools, where the project are being implemented, in order to share their knowledge, understanding, achievements, lessons learnt, and performance among themselves.
• 16 pilot schools in north-western and eastern provinces practiced ESD in very concrete terms and adapting the ESD visions to a local and whole school context. Schools acquired knowledge and skills to develop models for local curricula, conduct ESD in their schools based upon local needs and local conditions.