Inventory of ibex | WWF

Inventory of ibex



Posted on 22 November 2017
Ibex is a main prey of snow leopard and listed in the Red Book of Mongolia
© WWF Mongolia
Research and monitoring is vitally important for wildlife conservation because comprehensive understanding and perception on specific features and relationships of natural and biodiversity namely wildlife populations provide a basis for identification of optimal conservation options. Adhering to this approach, specialists and researchers from the WWF-Mongolia and National University of Mongolia and Institute of Biology under the Mongolian Academy of Sciences jointly conducted population assessment of Siberian ibex (wild goat) inhabiting Bumbatkhairkhan, Jargalantkhairkhan, and Baatarkhairkhan Mountains in Altay-Sayan ecoregion in the Mongolian territory.  The population assessment was carried out by a new methodology. The assessment was performed by a team of 20 national specialists and researchers on November 3-14, 2017. As results, there were 84 individuals on Bumbatkhairkhan Mountain, 496 individuals on Jargalantkhairkhan Mountain, and 719 individuals on Baatarkhairkhan Mountain recorded. While majority or 89-88 percent out of the recorded individuals were counted on the southern slopes, the rest or 11-12 percent were on the northern slopes of these mountains. These findings have proved that a suitable habitat for ibex is rocky uneven southern slopes of mountains.  At glance, this suitable habitat is entirely bare or is not vegetated, but it is distributed by grass, a main eatable plant by the species.  To add, the ibex is a main prey of snow leopard and listed in the Red Book of Mongolia.
 
Ibex is a main prey of snow leopard and listed in the Red Book of Mongolia
© WWF Mongolia Enlarge
The assessment was performed by a team of 20 national specialists and researchers on November
© WWF Mongolia Enlarge